Forgot password?
Contact     About Us     Testimonials     News     Terms of Use        

Post Jobs

Services for Employers
We help employers solve their labour shortages starting with developing a foreign worker strategy and action plan. We find the workers employers need and present them efficiently with our video resume system. We arrange telephone interviews and can perform background checks and administer any required employment or personality tests. We provide advice and representation regarding obtaining the necessary approvals and visas. We provide employment agreements and help with settlement related issues. Finally, we offer a replacement guarantee in the event the candidate does not work out as expected.

Foreign Worker Summary

We have prepared the following summary to help our Canadian employer with hiring foreign workers. We make hiring foreign workers easy.

Placing a Job Order with us
Let us know what type of workers you need. We will search our database for qualified people and recruit the people you need. We e-mail you video resumes of selected candidates for you to pre-screen online. You will be able to manage your selections using our online candidate management selection system. Once you have pre-selected workers we will set up a telephone interview so you can talk with candidates and determine who you want to hire.

Obtaining an LMO from HRSDC
Employers who wish to hire foreign workers usually need to file an application for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) with HRSDC (also known as "Service Canada"). This government department wants to ensure the employer has tried to recruit Canadians. The processing times vary from province to province. HRSDC primarily ensures the job offer is genuine, the wages and working conditions offered to the foreign worker are equivalent to those offered to Canadians and whether the employer has tried to hire and/or train Canadians for the job.
Federal prevailing wages website:
Prevailing wages website jobs in Alberta:

Pre-Approved LMOs
HRSDC now allows employers to obtain "pre-approvals" by filing an application in advance of finding the workers that are being hired. Once you find a worker you wish to hire we can quickly obtain an LMO for that worker.

Preparation of an Application for a Labour Market Opinion
We help employers obtain the following documentation for the application. We draft a cover letter in support of the application which highlights and summarizes the salient facts of your LMO application.
  • The Job Offer: The employer must extend a written job offer to the Applicant listing the position or occupation title, salary, duration of employment, location of the job, duties and responsibilities. We provide a precedent for your use.
  • Recruitment Efforts: Employer must show they tried to recruit Canadians and usually provide proof of print advertising or online postings.
  • Corporate Information: We usually provide Articles of Incorporation and other documents to show the company operates and has the need and ability to hire foreign workers.
Occupations under Pressure
HRSDC has listed certain occupations where employers will not be required to undertake lengthy or comprehensive advertising and usually only have to run ads on the free HRSDC site for 1 week. See the extensive list of Occupations Under Pressure by province:

New "E-LMO" Pilot Project
HRSDC has recently implemented an expedited electronic filing LMO application for employers with foreign workers going to Alberta and British Columbia in certain occupations. The approval process only takes 3-5 business days after HRSDC receives them. The employer must have been in operation for at least 12 consecutive months and have employed at least one worker. The Employers are required to have tried to recruit Canadians (usually just placing a free ad on and HRSDC will contact the employer by phone to verify the information. Note: Other conditions apply i.e. See low skilled worker conditions.

Eligible Occupations for E-LMO
  • Carpenters (Journeyman/Woman)
  • Civil Engineers
  • Commercial Janitors, Caretakers
  • Construction Labourers
  • Crane Operators(Journeyman/Woman)
  • Delivery Drivers
  • Dental Technicians
  • Electrical & Electronics Engineers
  • Food and Beverage Servers
  • Food Counter Attendants
  • Food Service Supervisors
  • Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics
  • Hotel Front Desk Clerks
  • Hotel and Hospitality Room Attendants
  • Industrial Electricians
  • Industrial Meat Cutters
  • Ironworkers
  • Manufacturing & Processing Labourers
  • Mechanical Engineers
  • Mechanical Engineering Technologists
  • Petroleum Engineers
  • Pharmacists
  • Registered Nurses
  • Residential Cleaning and Support Workers
  • Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks
  • Roofers
  • Ski and Snowboard Instructors
  • Specialized Cleaners
  • Steamfitters, Pipefitters
  • Surveyor Helpers
  • Tour and Travel Guides
  • Welders
  • Machinists
Work Permits
Foreign workers are usually required to obtain a valid work permit to work in Canada. A relatively new procedure called "concurrent processing" allows foreign workers to file for a work permit as soon as they receive a job offer and while their LMO is being processed. Once a job offer has been given to a foreign worker they can apply for a work permit to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) visa post responsible for the country where they work or live (This does not apply to low skilled workers). The work permit will not be issued before the LMO is approved. Low skilled workers must have the LMO before applying for the work permit. Canadian Visa Officers who review the work permit applications can refuse the application if they are not convinced the applicant will leave Canada if they are required to (i.e. the job opportunity ends). CIC charges a $150 processing fee.

Some Foreign Workers May Obtain Work Permits at the Port-of-Entry
Applicants from "Visa Exempt Countries" - meaning they do not need a visitor's visa to come to Canada from a prescribed list of countries (i.e. Mexico) can apply for their work permits at the border. Medical requirements still apply to many workers from most developing nations if their intended stay exceeds 6 months. Visitor Visa required if country is on this list:

Medical Examinations (
Foreign workers who are from a "Designated Country" (or have lived in a Designated Country in for at least 6 months in the last year) must undergo a medical examination with a "Designated Medical Practitioner" if the work permit is long than 6 months or the occupation is one where the "protection of health is essential" (i.e. teachers, domestics, nurses). Medical examinations are performed by doctors and the results are sent to a Canadian Medical Centre for evaluation. This process can take several months. With the new Concurrent Processing procedure medical forms can now be issued to the applicant as soon as they apply for the work permit. Some Visa posts only issue the medical forms after they have made a positive determination.

Low Skilled Workers
Occupations that are classified as "Low Skilled" by the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system are coded "C" or "D" skill level and are ones that usually require at most a high school diploma or a maximum of 2 years of job-specific training (i.e. hotel housekeepers, waiters, machine operators, personal support workers). These workers can come to Canada for up to 2 years but then they must return home for at least 4 months before returning to Canada. Employers must provide return airfare and "help" the workers find accommodations that will not cost more than one third of their salary. HRSDC has a prescribed contract they prefer the employers use (Low Skilled Worker Employment Agreement) and require the employer to enroll the worker in the appropriate Workplace Safety Board insurance program. Employers must pay for healthcare insurance until the provinces healthcare applies.

Occupation Licensing and Trade Certification
Each province has separate rules and regulations regarding professional and trade licensing. Foreign workers often have to obtain the necessary approvals before the work permit is issued. We help the employer and foreign worker navigate this complex area.

About Passportal International Inc (
Passportal International Inc (Passportal) is a separate foreign based company that manages a worldwide network of independent affiliate recruiters and represents people looking to live, work or study in Canada. Passportal assists candidates and their dependents with their immigration and settlement matters and helps foreign workers develop long-term strategic plans to stay in Canada - including advising them on how to obtain Permanent Residence.

Work Permit Validity Periods
Work Permits are usually granted for the length of the LMO. The work permit can not be granted beyond the validity of a passport. The LMO can be granted for up to 3 years if the job offer is for that period and the officer finds it justifiable.

Work Permit Extensions
Work Permits are usually extendable. A new LMO is normally required but often additional recruitment efforts are not required. The rules for Low Skilled Workers are different (There are limits for extension for work permits issued under NAFTA or GATS.

We help foreign workers find suitable accommodations (at the employee's cost). We have a many solutions such the home stay programs where the foreign worker can stay with a Canadian family until they find suitable long-term accommodations to their liking.

Our Placement Guarantee
If agreed to in writing, WorldHR offers a replacement guarantee in the event the foreign worker is not acceptable or leaves employment during the stipulated period.

Transportation to Canada
In most cases the candidate will be responsible for arranging their own transportation to Canada. For the low skilled worker category employers are responsible to arrange transportation to and from Canada.

Spouses of a work permit holders
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as temporary foreign workers for more than 6 months (not low skilled workers) may receive an "open work permit" allowing them to work for any employer without first having a confirmed job offer. We usually recommend to the foreign worker to come to Canada alone at first to get established and later bring their families. This can reduce costs and stress for the foreign worker.

Canadian Permanent Residence (PR)
Canada's has a point selection system for determining who is eligible for PR. Points are awarded for such things as education, language ability (English and French), work experience, age, family in Canada. An applicant who has a job in Canada may be able to get additional points and faster processing. We recommend Candidates to apply for PR as soon as they start working in Canada and become eligible to apply. Candidates working in Canada can apply at the Canadian Embassy in Buffalo which is the closest visa post and has fast processing (average processing time for PR 18 months). Applicants may be requested to attend an interview at the visa post and applicants that may have trouble obtaining a US visa may want to apply to the Canadian visa post responsible for their home country. Rosenblatt Associates advises the client on where best to apply.

PNP Programs
These provincial immigration programs enable foreign workers to get permanent residence faster. Usually employers file a joint application with the foreign worker after the worker has been working in Canada for them.